My parents in law will be visiting us next week and it has been my mother in law birthday so it's the best excuse to try something new and special, don't you think? When I look for this kind of "special" projects I always check some blogs, amongst the ones that have the best way of working with fabric yarn there is "Eu Tambén Crocheto" of Helena Maria Caldas. She is really an artist! She makes the most incredible projects with fabric yarn and she is so kind to even explain you how to do them! She's really my fabric yarn "guru" :)
I have to tell you that this stitch is a little tricky, it's not difficult once you get it but it almost took me half an hour to really understand it; so don't be afraid! If you have any doubt just leave me a comment below ok? I'll try to explain it as good as I can but let me know if you have any doubt of my explanation.
- Ganxxet Jordan color: 1 skein
- Ganxxet Dusseldorf color: 1 skein
STEP BY STEP:
First of all we have to do the oval base with the main color, in this case we use the Jordan grey. We will make this base with 4 rounds as we have made before in other projects like baskets or other handbags.
We start making 11 chain stitches. Here we have the pattern if it's easier for you to follow the stitches.
- ROW 1) We skip 1 chain stitch and we do 9 single crochet stitches. In the next one, we do 5 single crochet stitches. We go on for the other side of the chain stitch and we do 8 single crochet stitches. In the next chain stitch, we do 4 single crochet stitches.
- ROW 2) We make 10 single crochet stitches. Then, 3 double crochet stitches (the corner). We go for the other side with 10 single crochet stitches more and also 3 double crochet stitches.
- ROW 3) We make 10 single crochet stitches, 1 double crochet stitch, 1 single crochet stitch, 1 double crochet stitch, 1 single crochet and 1 double crochet stitch and we go on with 11 single crochet stitches and then, 1 double crochet, 1 single, 1 double, 1 single, 1 double and 1 single crochet stitch.
- ROW 4) We make 10 single crochet, 1 double, 2 single, 1 double, 2 single, 1 double and we go on in the other side making 12 single crochet stitches, 1 double, 2 single, 1 double, 2 single, 1 double and 2 single crochet stitches.
Here we change the yarn to Dusseldorf or your second color yarn and we do one row with single crochet stitches but following this pattern: we make 2 single crochet stitches in the same stitch of the last row and we skip one stitch and repeat. So this will be single/single (in the same stitch), skip one, single/single, skip one…and go on since you complete all the row. This row is very important because is the foundation for all our stitches.
Now we will start the main stitch. In every row you have to change the color. You can make it with just one color but the result it won't be as attractive as with two colors. You have to sew a lot to change the color and it takes more time but the result is worth it!
So change the color at the end of the row and to make the main stitch we have to follow this instructions:
Basically it is the same as making a single crochet stitch but pulling the yarn from the last leg (the one at the left) of the stitch from the previous row, and repeat that two times. Do you see the two blue yarns in the pictures that indicates where to pull the yarn? Ok, forget about the second one because is for the following stitch. Introduce your hook in the second V for the yarn at the left and repeat this two times. After that, skip one stitch and do the same in the following group of 2 stitches.
You will start seeing the result at the second row so don't be alarmed if you don't see exactly the same stitch as in the picture below, but you should see it after 2-3 rows.
I made 15 rows of this stitch switching colors in every row.
Once you have finished this, you make a complete row of single crochet stitches. Then, you change colors and you do a slip stitch row.
Then we change again the color and we will start making the handles. To make them we start a row of single crochet stitches and in the middle of the row we do 35 chain stitches for each handle.
We complete the handbag with a last row of single crochet stitches.
Let me know if you have any doubt, this stitch can be tricky but it is worth the effort! and once you get it, it is just making single stitches so not difficult at all!
Leave a comment below if I can help you and happy crochet!