Whether you're just getting started with macrame or you've been tying knots for years, you'll need the right macrame supplies to get the job done.
Let's look at the essential supplies and tools you'll need to create stunning macrame pieces
Table Of Contents
- What Is Macrame?
- Basic Macrame Supplies
- Optional Macrame Supplies
- Macrame Tips And Tricks To Get You Started
What Is Macrame?
Macrame is a form of textile-making using a series of hand-tied knots instead of crochet hooks or knitting needles. Arabic weavers have been tying projects from intricate knots since the 13th century, and macrame has become a beloved art form worldwide.
You can create wall hangings, jewelry, plant hangers, and more by tying knots with cords, strings, and yarns. As you vary the type of cord and the knot style, you can create unique looks that are all your own.
Basic Macrame Supplies
When you look at a macrame pattern, you'll notice that most have a supply list. While the exact supplies you'll need will depend on the project, some basics remain consistent.
With the below materials, you’ll have the macrame supplies on hand to create just about anything your heart desires!
You won't get very far on your project without something to tie your knots into. That's why your top priority should be to get the right macrame cord for the piece you want to create.
Macrame cord varies based on material, size, texture, and color. You can find lightweight braided cords, cotton rope made from recycled cotton, specialty cords, and more. Some options are even tough enough to hold up to the elements outside.
No matter what style you're going for, GANXXET has you covered! Pick up a few different colors and sizes of cord so you’re always ready for your next project. Our Curated Mystery Box is a fun way to stock up on macrame cords at a discount.
If you’ve ever tried to cut through a thick rope with a dull pair of scissors, you know how important it is to have the right tool for the job. Invest in a pair of scissors specifically made for cutting through macrame cords so you don't get frustrated during your project.
Not only will having the right tool make cutting easier, but it can also help prevent fraying and other issues that could impact your finished product.
A Flexible Tape Measure
The amount of cord you need varies from one project to another. But no matter what you're making, it's important to be precise with your measurements.
A tape measure is essential for measuring the length of cord you need so all of your pieces can line up like they’re supposed to. While you can use a ruler, it's better to use a flexible tape measure that can adapt to the shape of your project.
A Starting Point
If you don't stabilize your cord, your macrame project will likely become a knotted mess. It's essential to start with an anchor point, like a dowel rod or a wooden hoop. This keeps your cords in place and makes it easier to tie the knots correctly.
Feel free to get creative here and use what you have. Yarn clamps, clipboards, sticks, and even a dowel rod can make great starting points for different projects.
Optional Macrame Supplies
Once you've gathered the basic supplies listed above, you may want to add a few other items to your macrame toolkit. While not essential for every project, these additions will make your knotting experience smoother and more enjoyable.
A Macrame Board Or Loom
If you’re working on a complicated piece, it may be helpful to use a loom or board. This will keep your cords in place as you work and make specific knots easier to tie.
In addition, having a stable place to work makes it easier to start and stop your piece as needed.
Beads And Embellishments
If you want to take your macrame up a notch, try adding beads or other embellishments to your knots. Our Wood Bead Balls for Macrame are a great place to start. Just make sure to verify the hole size so the beads will fit nicely on your cord.
Some projects (like plant hangers) look great with wooden rings at the top. Look for unfinished wooden hoops, like our Number A11 or A12.
When you’re new to macrame, it's a great idea to start with smaller projects, like keychains, until you get the hang of the different knots.
Our GANXXET Clasp Keychains come in various sizes and colors, making them perfect for any project.
Macrame Cord Fringe Brush
Sometimes, you want to add a soft fringe to your project. For this, you'll need a Macrame Cord Fringe Brush. This tool will help you tease out the fibers of your cord to create a smooth fringe with minimal effort.
Macrame patterns occasionally require stiffening the cords so your project holds its shape. Feathers and leaves often benefit from this step, as do other designs that need more structure.
You can purchase spray fabric stiffeners at most craft stores. Remember to read the directions on the back and follow all safety precautions when using this product. And you'll want to keep it out of the reach of children or pets.
Macrame Tips And Tricks To Get You Started
Now that you have your macrame supplies, you’re ready to create beautiful pieces. Use these tips and tricks to help you along your macrame journey:
- Practice, practice, practice! The best way to learn is by doing. Don't be afraid to make mistakes while you learn the ropes (literally).
- Invest in good quality supplies. The right tools will make all the difference in how your project turns out. Turn to GANXXET for all your macrame needs.
- Plan your project. Before you begin tying knots, sketch what you want to make and gather all the materials you need. This planning time can help you avoid mistakes later on.
- Use different colors of cord for contrasting effects. Don’t get stuck in a rut when it comes to macrame. Pick different colors and textures to create beautiful visual results.
- Start with something simple. If you’re a beginner, start with a small project, like a yoga strap or bookmark, to get used to tying knots and using your supplies.
- Watch tutorials. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to macrame! Take advantage of the online video tutorials to help you master the basics or try more complex designs. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for all sorts of macrame help!
- Try a DIY Kit. Our Chunky Macrame Handbag DIY Kit is the way to go if you're just beginning. It comes with the cord you need, plus a step-by-step video tutorial to ensure you can complete the project.
- Have fun! Don't forget that macrame is supposed to be enjoyable. Focus on having fun with the process while you create beautiful works of art.
Here’s To Many Macrame Adventures!
No matter what crafting adventure you embark on, make sure to have all the macrame supplies you need. With our selection of macrame cords, tools, rings, and more, your next masterpiece is just a few clicks away.