Want to create something unique and personalized for this upcoming Mother's Day?! Then get ready to spend an afternoon filled with super colorful macrame cords, a wide variety of headbands, crafting materials and let's not forget some music in the background to keep the beat up while getting creative with these Macrame Headbands!
Enjoy this super fun Macrame free pattern DIY brought to you by Chelsea Gardner from @knotsandnaps. This is the perfect activity for you to connect with your loved ones and enjoy some crafting time together!
Just follow these easy steps and let's not forget to mention all crafting level makers are welcome!
The best thing about this fun DIY is that the little ones can decide and combine which color they want to wear and can help throughout the entire process of creating!
These were just a few color options Emma wanted to make her macrame headband.
I guess we each got to wear our favorite color, yellow and blue for the win!
Color Possibilities are endless! So stack up on your favorite headbands for this summer with our Zero Waste Soft cotton Cord!
HEADBAND MACRAME TUTORIAL:
- sharp scissors
- measuring tape
- wooden dowel
- fabric glue
- Requires knowledge of larks head knot, diagonal clove hitch knot, square knot
- Easiest made on a flat surface using a clipboard
- Pattern consists of 4 total diamonds
- DCHK= Diagonal Clove Hitch Knot, SK = Square Knot
- “Lead Rope” = rope is wrapped around and guides to create intricate designs
3 pieces at 55”
MACRAME HEADBAND - MAKES 1:
- Find center of each rope and fold in half
- Attach all pieces to wooden dowel using a “larks head knot”
- Fasten to clipboard
- 1st Diamond Shape
- Use the 4 most center ropes and create a Square Knot
- Use the 3rd rope from the left as your “lead rope” pull rope on an angle downward to the left to create the top of 1st diamond.
- Use 2nd rope from the left attach to the “lead rope” use a “Clove Hitch Knot” repeat for a total of 2 CHK’S
- Use the 1st rope from the left repeat 2 CHK’s
- Repeat process on right side to create top of our 1st Diamond Shap
- Use 3rd rope from the right as “lead rope” pull rope on an angle downward to the right
- Use the 2nd rope from the right attach to the “lead rope” use a “Clove Hitch Knot” repeat for a total of 2 CHK’s
- Use the 1st rope from the right repeat 2 CHK’s
- Create a decorative center knot by taking 4 center rope
- Divide into 2 sections of 2 ropes (right & left)
- Cross the left section of the right
- Take right section fold over and under the left section to create a simple knot
- Pull up and tighten
- Complete bottom left side of diamond
- Use the 1st rope on the left your “lead rope” and pull rope on an angle downward to the right
- Use 2nd rope from the left attach to the lead rope use CHK 2x’s
- Use 3rd rope from the left attach to the lead rope use CHK 2x’s
- Pull ropes to the side
- Complete bottom of the right side of diamond use the 1st rope on the right (lead rope) and pull rope on an angle downward to the left
- Use 2nd rope from the right attach to the lead rope use CHK 2x’s
- Use 3rd rope from the right attach to the lead rope use CHK 2x’s
- Keeping the right lead rope in left hand angle downward to the left to cross over left lead rope, use the 2nd rope from the left attach to lead rope with 2 CHK’s
- Use the 1st rope from the left attach to lead rope with 2 CHK’s
- 1st Diamond Shape Complete! Yay!
- Repeat the process above to create a total of 3 diamonds.
- For the last diamond create a Square Knot
- Remove piece from wooden dowel
- Trim around piece leaving ½” of fringe
- Using your comb brush out fringe and re-trim
- Find center of headband
- Position macrame slightly off center or to your liking
- Using your glue, apply glue directly to headband
- *TIP* measure length of your piece and make glue line same length
- Apply pressure and secure macrame to head band
- Let glue dry
Hope you enjoyed this Super quick and fun DIY for Mother's Day. Until next time!
Nuria and Emma